INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Sept. 3rd 2015) -- A former Colts linebacker accused of rape was found not guilty on all counts Thursday.
Josh McNary was cleared on three different criminal charges. It took the jury two and a half hours to reach the not guilty verdict.
Afterwards, McNary said he’s relieved and plans to try and resume his dream of playing in the NFL.
“I’m happy that I’m still free,” said McNary. “It’s been traumatic and tragic.”
The alleged sexual assault started with a meeting late last year at Tiki Bob’s bar in downtown Indy.
That’s where McNary met a woman who had been out drinking at several different bars.
Both sides agree the woman and McNary came back to McNary’s downtown apartment where the pair began kissing, but the victim claimed she told McNary to stop because she felt too drunk to have sex.
McNary took the stand and argued the sex was consensual.
The jury was made up almost entirely of women. He’s thrilled to have been cleared of any wrongdoing.
“Today has been the best outcome of a really bad circumstance,” said McNary.
“Although the McNary family is pleased, they’ve gone through nightmare with this,” said McNary’s attorney Ed Schrager.
McNary will now be free to resume playing with the Colts or another NFL team.
His attorney believes that will happen.
“I think Josh has been an underdog his whole life and always succeeded,” said Schrager. “He was a walk on at Army. He was a walk on with the Colts. I have every optimism he’ll be successful at whatever he does.”
The alleged victim broke down in tears as the verdict was announced. Prosecutors left court without comment.