Prosecutor: No charges filed against IMPD officer involved in fatal crash; chief recommends firing

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Oct. 19, 2015) — Prosecutors say no criminal charges will be filed against an Indianapolis Metropolitan police officer involved in a fatal crash last month.

On Sept. 24, IMPD officer Bernardo Zavalza, who was off-duty, was behind the wheel of an IMPD vehicle when a pedestrian was killed on East Southport Road near I-65. Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said his office concluded charges against Zavalza weren’t warranted. Zavalza had alcohol in his system, but tests showed his blood alcohol content was .029, below Indiana’s legal limit of .08. A separate toxicology screening found no evidence of other intoxicants, Curry said.

A reconstruction of the crash found Zavalza’s car was going 46 mph in a 40 mph zone. The man killed in the crash, Ronny Bowling, was the subject of a 911 call around 11:50 p.m. in which the caller said a man was walking in the street. That call was made moments before the crash.

While the prosecutor’s office said the crash didn’t rise to the level of criminal charges, IMPD Chief Rick Hite will recommend Zavalza’s firing to the Police Civilian Merit Board, saying Zalvalza violated IMPD policy. Zavalza was placed on administrative leave after the crash and his police powers were suspended.

“After reviewing the administrative findings from both the Internal Affairs and Special Investigation Units, I find it appropriate, warranted and within IMPD policy to recommend to the Police Merit Board that Zavalza be terminated,” Hite said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.