7-year-old girl chokes on school lunch, dies

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BROOKLIN, NY (November 1, 2015) – A 7-year-old girl who choked on her school lunch last week has died.

According to WPIX, Noelia Echavarria was a second grade student in Brooklyn.

On October 21, a teacher at Echavarria’s school saw her choking on her lunch, so she flagged down an EMT who just happened to be at the school.

By the time the EMT got to her, Echavarria was already unconscious and unresponsive.

She was later declared brain dead at the hospital.

According to WPIX, the family’s attorney David Perecman has several questions surrounding the incident.

“I’m troubled about the amount of time, it took to call 911,” Perecman told WPIX. “With the little information we have, it appears there was a 911 phone call at about 2:30. But that’s the same time that the EMT called 911. And if that’s the case, that means he’s the first person to call 911. And if he’s the first person to call 911, then the school did not.”

The Department of Education says they are investigating the incident.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.