Boating crash survivor thanks those who saved her life

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (December 19, 2015) - The holiday season has extra special meaning for the Harris family this year.

Last May, a boat crash on Geist Reservoir critically injured 52 year old Becky Harris.

Now 7 months later, she is thanking those who were there for her and her family in those critical moments after tragedy changed their lives.

Wearing her Indianapolis Colts gear along with a big smile, Becky Harris is grateful.

“Because of these men and of course because of my husband, I’m able to be here today,” said Harris.

She and her husband Boyd are here at Indianapolis Fire Station 9 in Castleton to say thank you to those who serve and protect.

On May 17th, Becky was critically injured after a boat broadsided her pontoon at 50 miles an hour out on Geist.

“Knocked our steering wheel off, knocked the console all down on top of me, knocked my husband into the water who miraculously made it back into the boat,” said Harris.

First responders were notified and worked to locate the crash while Becky’s husband Boyd administered CPR- he had learned for his job.

“We were very fortunate that we were able to get down there,” said Lieutenant Mike Janes with Fisher Police.

Janes was one of the first on scene.

“We were able to locate the victim, get her onto a backboard and move her over to our boat and transport her to the shore where she was able to be taken care of by EMS.”

Becky had a serious head injury and broken bones. Her outlook was grim, but she pulled out of it, thanks to the mutual aid of first responders who helped her that day.

“They made all the right moves and the outcome was a tremendous blessing,” said Boyd Harris.

Becky is still recovering from her injuries, but she and Boyd wanted to thank the 20 first responders who saved her life in person.

“It’s very, very gratifying for all of us here that were involved on that day,” said Lieutenant Janes.

“I feel blessed and I feel thankful, thankful that people did their best on our behalf,” said Boyd Harris.

“The biggest thanks to all of these people that helped me and didn't give up. That’s the biggest thing- and Merry Christmas,” Harris said.

Indianapolis Fire and EMS along with Fishers Police and DNR officers assisted in the rescue and treating Harris.

Becky and Boyd are looking forward to becoming grandparents in January.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.