Plainfield mall reopens with increased security following Facebook threat

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PLAINFIELD, Ind. (Dec. 19, 2015)– Stores inside The Shops at Perry Crossing opened as scheduled Saturday after a threat posted to Facebook targeting specific individuals and stores caused the entire mall to be evacuated Friday evening.

Police then searched the mall for anything suspicious and stayed on scene until 1:00 a.m. Saturday before deciding the mall was clear. Law enforcement worked closely the complex's management office to make the decision the mall was safe to open back up Saturday morning.

"We will remain vigilant as customer and employee safety is our top priority," The Shops at Perry Crossing Management Office said in a post to Facebook.

However, Plainfield Police and the Hendrick's County Sheriff's Office did increase patrols around the mall Saturday due to the recent threat.

"There was a lot of different information in there of threatening nature," Plainfield Police Department's Captain Jill Lees said. "So we are obviously still investigating this case and it’s moved over here to the mall so that creates another dynamic to it."

"I thought they would catch him right away like they did the Danville students within hours they had them. So that part is a little concerning," shopper Lorri Matern said Saturday. "I just can’t imagine high school kids are doing this, but I know they are investigating everything and that’s the big thing... they haven’t caught them.”

Several law enforcement agencies are working on the case including Indiana State Police's Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force. The task force is using cyber tools to track down who is behind the threats.

Police believe this latest threat at the mall is coming from the same person who threatened Plainfield High School earlier this week.