Three-Ingredient Shortbread Cookies
Servings: Makes about 20 cookies depending on how big you make them
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 and 1/4 cups flour
- (Optional but recommended: 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or almond extract)
- Beat the butter in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute)
- Add the powdered sugar and optional vanilla or almond extract and mix until smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl (about 2 minutes)
- Slowly add in the flour and mix until just combined – do not overmix!
- Flatten the dough out on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and cover with a piece of plastic wrap.
- Chill dough for at least one hour and up to 72 hours.
- When you’re ready to bake the cookies, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the top of the dough, and cut the dough into shapes using your favorite cookie cutter.
- Place shaped dough on a prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 – 15 minutes (depending on the size of your cookie, they make take more or less time; start checking the doneness at 10 minutes)
- Remove cookie from oven and cool on a wire rack
- Shortbread cookies will stay fresh for about a week in an airtight container. They also freeze well.
Optional: If you want to dip cookies in chocolate, melt 6 ounces of your favorite chocolate, dip cookies in chocolate, set cookies on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and let cool until chocolate hardens.
Recipe courtesy of Kylee’s Kitchen