Family releases statement after fatal shootings of Zionsville mother, 4-year-old son

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Photo from Giehll family via Indiana State Police

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Feb. 18, 2016)– Raymond Giehll III, husband of Katherine Giehll and father of 4-year-old Raymond Giehll IV, who were both fatally shot Wednesday in Zionsville, issued a statement Thursday on behalf of the family:

“We would first like to thank the Boone County Sheriff’s Department, Boone County Sheriff Mike Nielsen, and the other agencies for their professional and respectful handling of our family tragedy yesterday.

“Katie and Raymond IV were my entire family and the hole their loss leaves is unexplainable. We know that they are in God’s watchful arms and ask for your prayers for our family. We appreciate all the condolences that we have received. At this time we ask that we be given the respect and time to grieve that we deserve.  The loss of Katie and Raymond IV is an unbelievable and tragic event in our lives. We also ask that any services that we plan receive that same respect from the media.”

The Boone County Sheriff’s office provided the following unofficial timeline of events:

In the early morning of February 17, 2016 Katherine Giehll sent her husband Raymond Giehll III a text that her uncle, Lucius Hamilton, was at their home.  After Mr. Giehll was unable to reach his wife on the phone, Giehll accessed his in-home cameras via his cell phone.  Giehll noticed Hamilton inside of the residence and after several more failed attempts to reach Katherine, Mr. Giehll, being concerned for his family’s well-being, drove to the house.  Mr. Giehll arrived home to find his wife and son deceased and he immediately called 911.

Giehll notified the 911 operator that Hamilton was previously inside the residence.

Around 11:30 a.m., detectives were given video surveillance footage of Hamilton’s Saab SUV leaving the home of the deceased. (The exterior surveillance cameras are designed to record to a DVR however the interior cameras only give a live stream to a specific device.) Investigators were able to positively identify Hamilton by checking the recorded DVR in the garage which identified Hamilton.  Investigators also discovered a substantial family trust that the victims were beneficiaries of, as well as, Hamilton. (The details of the trust are complex and are currently being looked into).

Once authorities positively identified Hamilton as a prime suspect, local law enforcement as well as detectives from the Boone County Homicide Task force checked Hamilton’s place of employment at Wabash College.  After it was determined that Hamilton was at the school but had since left, Wabash was placed on lockdown. It was determined that Hamilton drove his Saab to the school and then checked out a work van.

Through an extensive investigation by multiple surrounding and federal agencies, law enforcement officials determined Hamilton had checked in to the Hilton Hotel and Suites in downtown Indianapolis.  Within minutes of that confirmation, US Marshals had arrived on scene and secured the floor.  The Indiana State Police SWAT team arrived shortly thereafter and began tactical measures to make contact with Hamilton. Upon knocking on the door, SWAT officers reported two shots fired.  After several more attempts to contact Hamilton verbally, they entered the room.  Hamilton was found deceased with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. A handgun was recovered at the scene and is currently being processed by crime scene investigators.

Autopsies were performed on Katherine and Raymond IV last night by the Boone County Coroner’s Office. The Coroner’s Office stated that Mrs. Giehll sustained three gunshot wounds and Raymond sustained one.

Both vehicles driven by Hamilton are currently being processed by crime scene investigators. This continues to be an ongoing investigation that is extremely complex and involves multiple agencies.

The Marion County Coroner confirmed Hamilton’s cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head. His manner of death was ruled a suicide.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.