Shepherd’s Pie (serves 6-8 people) — Recipe from Mo’s Irish Pub
- Beef Tips, 1” Dice 2 lbs.
- Salt & Pepper 1 tsp of each
- Vegetable Oil 1 tablespoon
- Yellow Onions, small dice 1 each
- Garlic Cloves 2 each
- All Purpose Flour 2 tablespoons
- Beef Stock 1 quart
- Dried Sage ¼ tsp
- Dried Thyme ½ tsp
- Chopped Fresh Parsley ¼ cup
- Carrots, small dice 8 oz.
- Leeks, small dice 8 oz.
- Frozen Peas 4 oz.
- Idaho Potatoes 2 lbs.
- Butter 4 oz.
- Milk 4 oz.
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
Mashed Potato Cooking
- Rinse Potatoes and place in a medium stock pot
- Add Water to cover the potatoes. Boil until fork tender
- Drain Potatoes and place back in the stock pot.
- Add butter, milk, salt & pepper (cheese if desired)
- Mix with hand mixer to desired consistency
Shepherd’s Pie Cooking
- Season the beef tips with Salt & Pepper and sear until golden brown
- Place Beef tips in a Crock Pot, reserve the oil.
- Add the onions and garlic to the sauté pan and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle Flour over the onions and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Add this mixture to the Crock Pot
- Add Water, Beef Base, Seasonings, and Vegetables to the crock pot and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Cover and cook on Low for 3 hours
- While the stew is cooking you can start the mashed potatoes.
Option 1: Using a spatula or piping bag gently place the Mashed Potatoes on top of the stew. Garnish with Cheese and Parsley and serve.
Option 2: You can place the stew in a casserole dish and then top with Mashed Potatoes. Place in the oven on broil setting and cook until the potatoes start to brown. Garnish with Cheese and Parsley.