KOKOMO, Ind. (March 27, 2016) – Thousands of people are expected to pay their respects to fallen Howard County Deputy Carl Koontz at his visitation today.
The visitation is at Northwestern High School from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Deputy Koontz worked as a resource officer at the high school, and students say he will be missed tremendously. On Monday, his body was escorted from Stout & Son Funeral Home in Kokomo to the high school.
Koontz died after a shooting last week; he and Sgt. Jordan Buckley were serving a warrant around 12:30 a.m. in Russiaville. Koontz was taken to IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, where he succumbed to his injuries.
Koontz’s funeral is on Tuesday at 11 a.m also at Northwestern High School with the burial at Albright Cemetery in Kokomo. A police procession will follow the funeral on Tuesday, and the public is encouraged to stand along the route:
- Northwestern High School, 3431 CR N. 400 W.
- South on CR 400 West to SR 22
- East on SR 22 to Dixon Road
- South on Dixon Road to Markland Avenue
- East on Markland Avenue past the Sheriff's Department to Washington Street
- South on Washington Street to Lincoln Road
- East on Lincoln Road to Albright
- South on Albright to the cemetery at the corner of Albright and Alto
Officers say road closures and traffic congestion is expected throughout much of the afternoon, so drivers should find alternate routes.
The Indiana State Critical Incident Memorial Team has been planning the services. There will also be a flag presentation on Monday with a final salute.