Blast blows walls off Indiana home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MONTICELLO, Ind. (May 7, 2016) — Authorities in northwest Indiana say a natural gas leak caused an explosion that blew the walls off a home where three people were sleeping. No one was seriously hurt.

The blast happened early Saturday in Monticello, scattering debris in the road and yard.

Fire Capt. Robert Hickman says a gas meter was on fire and firefighters had to quickly extinguish it by shutting off the gas supply before searching for anyone trapped inside.

WLFI-TV reports ( ) that the three adults asleep inside at the time of the explosion were able to make it out before firefighters arrived.

One of them suffered minor burns but refused medical treatment.

Hickman says a preliminary investigation found no evidence of illegal activity.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.