Department of Education revokes teachers licenses after investigation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- After a CBS4 investigation exposed teachers who were charged with child sex crimes, but still had active teaching licenses, The Indiana Department of Education began the process of revoking teachers licenses.  On Friday, the Indiana Department of Education responded to this story with additional details.

The Indiana Department of Education has now provided CBS4 documents to show they attempted to reach out to 2 of the counties that were in question in 2015.  However, until Thursday, the Department of Education did not follow-up in writing to either county.

In Jackson County,  Aaron Murray, a former Seymour Middle School math teacher was charged in July 2015 with child molestation for inappropriately touching a young student. He has not yet been sentenced, but he plead guilty to the charges this April. The Jackson County Prosecutors Office said The Department of Education never contacted them about Murray.  The Department of Education has provided a document to show they attempted to contact Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office in July of 2015.  However, as of Friday morning, Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office maintains they have not received any communication from the Department of Education.

Previously, Hamilton County Prosecutors office stated they never received a request from the Department of Education on Michael Douce.  Douce is a former Noblesville High School music teacher who was charged in January 2015 with child seduction. He plead guilty in August 2015 and was sentenced in September, but his license wasn't revoked until Thursday.  On Friday, an administrator inside the Hamilton County Prosecutors office did find the request for information from the Department of Education dated May 12th, 2015.  As of Friday afternoon, Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office did not have a comment regarding the delay in response.

In a statement; Andre Miksha, Chief Deputy Prosecutor for Hamilton County said;

"Because the statute states immediately, I know our notice was considerably tardy; however, with Mr. Douce currently serving a prison sentence with a projected release date in 2023, I hope the eight-month delay will be considered insignificant in the practical sense, especially since we know Noblesville Schools was following the case closely and was aware of its disposition."

While state law requires individual prosecutors office's to notify the Department of Education, Altman told CBS4, they work proactively to contact the prosecutors office. Miksha said in Douce's case, they have no record of the Department of Education ever contacting them.

Superintendent Glenda Ritz issued this statement.