2 men face charges in 2015 deaths of Indianapolis mother, 28-year-old man

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Update (July 21, 2016)-- Charges in this case were dismissed due to issues with evidence. Read more here.

Original story:

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.-- Police arrested two people Wednesday in connection with the murder of two people, including an Indianapolis mother of five.

Kenneth Jones and Michael Edwards face preliminary charges of murder and attempted murder.

Tamara Sword, 32, was shot at a gas station in the 3800 block of Lafayette Road on August 22, 2015. She later died at the hospital.

Joshua Riggins, 28, was also killed. Police believe Riggins ducked in front of a car, and the car rolled over him. He died at the scene.

Jones and Edwards now face charges for the murder of Sword and the attempted murder of Riggins.

A witness talked to police in March. Detectives believe that witness and his rapper friend were intended targets, and he told police he kept quiet because he and his buddy wanted to retaliate themselves.

IMPD's Violent Crimes and Gang unit picked up Jones and Edwards on Wednesday afternoon at a home on Clarkson Drive, where police said they also seized weapons and narcotics.

Victim Tamara Sword's father is a well-known anti-violence activist in Chicago.

"You can't explain the feeling. I'm just totally upset because I don't have my daughter," said Andrew Holmes, "They're still walking. They still can talk to somebody. They still can talk to their family. My daughter is laying down resting."

Investigators said two rappers were embroiled in an ongoing fight. They'd already had a disagreement at club "Suite 38" in the weeks prior. The night of August 22nd, another fight closed the club.

Tamara Sword and a friend didn't get in. They walked to the gas station moments before the bullets started flying.

A witness and friend of one of the rappers told police Michael Edwards was firing shots from an assault rifle as Kenneth Jones stood by.

Tamara Sword got hit and tried to make her way to a car. Joshua Riggins didn't get shot but was run over seeking shelter from the gunfire as sword's friend attempted to drive away.

Court papers indicate that crime scene techs found 44 casings at the scene.

"It’s just so disrespectful that you have two rappers, in the music industry, going at each other’s head," said Holmes, "Then they’ve got to take a weapon to solve their differences, who pays the price? My daughter pays the price for that."

Holmes said Sword's oldest child is now living with him in Chicago. Her other four children live in Indianapolis.

IMPD said no other arrests are expected.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.