Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued for several Indiana counties

Wayne Township Fire Department testing vehicles for carbon monoxide leaks

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.- The Wayne Township Fire Department is offering a new free service to drivers, and officials say taking advantage of it could save your life.

Every fire station in Wayne Township is now equipped with the tools to test for carbon monoxide inside vehicles.

This new initiative was actually born out of a tragedy.

Former Ben Davis High School student Savannah Bettis died in a car crash last year.

Officials say Bettis  and the car’s driver were both overcome by carbon monoxide, causing them to crash.

A little more than a year later and the Wayne Township Fire Department is working to make sure that doesn’t happen again.

The testing only takes about ten minutes to complete.

We tested a Fox 59 live truck on Tuesday morning.

A detection device was placed on the floor of the truck while running the heat for five minutes, and the air conditioning for the same amount of time.

Our vehicle showed no sign of carbon monoxide inside the truck.

Wayne Township fire chief Gene Konzen suggests getting older cars tested because carbon monoxide can be hard to detect.

“It’s odorless, you can’t smell it, you can’t taste it, you don’t know it’s there,” said Konzen.

If you’d like to get your vehicle tested, call the Wayne Township Fire Department (317-247-8501).

You can set up an appointment to get your vehicle checked at the department’s headquarters any time during regular business hours.

The service is primarily for Wayne Township residents, but officials say they will not turn anyone away.

 

 

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.