Indiana woman dies from electrocution in flooded basement

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Authorities in South Bend say a woman has died after she was electrocuted in her flooded St. Joseph County home.

Deputy Coroner Dr. Michael O’Connell tells the South Bend Tribune that 54-year-old Sandra Sharp was taken off life support Monday. Two days earlier she was found unconscious in her rural home’s flooded basement.

St. Joseph County police assistant chief Bill Thompson says police and emergency medical responders found Sharp about 4:30 a.m. Saturday in about 6 inches of water. They performed CPR and she was hospitalized.

Police believe Sharp was electrocuted just after going to clear water from the basement following heavy rain on Friday night. Thompson says the electrical charge may have come from a box fan found near the woman.