7-year-old Greenwood girl at center of Amber Alert case safely located, police say

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENWOOD, Ind.-- The Center Grove School Police Department investigated the abduction of a child from Greenwood Tuesday.

The 7-year-old girl was believed to be in extreme danger. Center Grove School Police Department said they believed the child was abducted by her non-custodial mother, Morgan Negri, 27.

According to Center Grove schools, Negri came to North Grove Elementary School around 10:50 a.m. to pick up her child at the front office. She was listed as a custodial parent in the school's records.

Thirty minutes later, the child's father arrived at the school with a court order issued Tuesday morning that provided him with sole custodial rights.

Court records show a judge found that the  “child's physical and emotional development will be effected detrimentally" if she's in her mother's custody.

The father called 911 after the child had been released and an Amber Alert was issued.

"The investigators with Center Grove- they were able to articulate why this child was in eminent danger of injury or death," said Capt. David Bursten, public information officer for Indiana State Police. "That’s a key point. We had enough descriptive information."

Just before 3 p.m., the girl was located at a Greenwood dentist's office with her mother. She was unharmed.

"I found out about it through the Amber Alert that he had custody now," said Negri. "As soon as the shock wore off, I called and told them where I was, the address, that (the child ) was with me, she was safe."

The incident remains under investigation, according to police.

"All Center Grove schools are equipped with secure entrances, which require any visitors to be buzzed in before gaining access to the school. All procedures and protocols were followed in this situation," Center Grove Schools said in a statement.

Negri tells FOX59 she didn't know she was doing anything wrong. She had full custody prior to Tuesday and claimed to be unaware of the father's court date.  She said the father could have just called her to prevent this situation.

Note: The girl's name, photo and personal information were removed from this story once she was found.