Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued for several Indiana counties

Fire crews investigate early morning apartment fire at retirement community

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. --  A discarded cigarette led to a fire that disrupted the morning for 19 residents at the Crestwood Village Apartment complex on the city's west side.

Wayne Township Fire officials reported that they found smoke coming from the second floor retirement community, which is located just west of North Girls School Road and south of 10th Street, upon arrival. They were called to the scene around 2:15 a.m.

While crews were able to contain the fire, heavy smoke forced them to evacuate 19 people from the building. Firefighters rescued one of the residents, an 86-year-old woman, from a balcony using a ladder. The fire was under control in about 20 minutes.

Three residents were treated on scene for smoke inhalation. One person went to an area hospital for a minor medical issue.

Eight units sustained smoke or water damage; the fire destroyed one unit. Nine of the 19 residents evacuated from the building were not able to return to their apartments. Victim assistance has been on the scene helping residents find shelter elsewhere until they are able to go back home.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.