INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Two people were hurt after a Tuesday morning house fire on the far east side.
According to the Indianapolis Fire Department, a man and woman were taken to Eskenazi Hospital in serious condition after the home caught fire.
Crews were dispatched to the 900 block of Gibson Avenue around 6 a.m.
IFD said a 75-year-old woman in a wheelchair called 911 after she dropped a cigarette onto some flammable material. A 95-year-old man was outside the home when crews arrived. Firefighters helped the woman out of the home. Both victims suffered from smoke inhalation.
IFD said firefighters were called to the same home three days ago after another dropped cigarette nearly sparked a fire.
Damage is estimated at $60,000.