Indianapolis woman beaten and bound with duct tape during home invasion may be drug related

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Police at scene on Thursday, March 9, 2017

INDIANAPOLIS — An Indianapolis woman is beaten and bound with duct tape during an attempted robbery Thursday morning.

The violent home invasion took place in the 1500 block of east 73rd street in the Ravenswood neighborhood on Indy’s north side.

Indianapolis police believe the crime is drug related.

In the middle of the night, police were called after a 55-year-old woman was attacked.  Police say the suspect stormed in demanding money and drugs and when the woman said she didn’t have any the man beat and tied her up.

“I think it’s appalling,” said neighbor Sean Lewis.  “This part of Indianapolis home invasions are not the norm.”

Several neighbors were not shocked to hear that the IMPD says the victim’s house has been the target of drug activity in the past and police busted the same home late last year.

“I mean with the heroin epidemic, it’s not terribly surprising,” said Lewis.

“In the past it has been a known drug spot,” said Kenny Mcree.

Kenny helps run a non-profit group called Ravenswood Hope which offers resources to drug addicts.  Kenny claims the Ravenswood neighborhood, just north of Broad Ripple, has seen 15 fatal overdoses in the last 18 months.

“The area is riddled with heroin,” said Mcree.  “We are doing everything we possibly can to fight this epidemic in our area.”

Exactly one year ago last March after Jessica Earl died from a drug overdose, neighbors got together in the rain to walk through the neighborhood.   They plan to do the same again later this month on March 18th starting at 2pm at 1788 Haynes Ave.

“We’re gonna march the neighborhood and let people know they do have avenues to get clean,” said Mcree.

IMPD investigators believe the son of the woman assaulted was the intended target of the early morning robbery.  That woman went to the hospital in good condition.

Police did take one person into custody for questioning, but that person was later released.

No arrests have yet been made in the case.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.