Police arrest man in connection with murders of two women found in burning car

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Police arrested a man in connection with the murders of two women found in a burning car on the west side of Indianapolis last month.

Tywan James was arrested in Lake County for the murders of Martina Webb and Aliyah Igartua on September 30.

"I was happy, I'll be more happy when they catch the rest of them," Webb's mother, Marvis Webb Ross, said.

Police began investigating their deaths after someone reported a burning car just after midnight behind an abandoned house in the 1600 block of Goodlet Avenue, northeast of 16th and Tibbs Avenue.

Neighbors in the area said they heard a car pull up, and then another vehicle sped away shortly before they noticed the flames.

When fire crews arrived, they found Webb and Igartua dead inside the car. Both women are from Gary. Ross said Webb leaves behind a 6-year old son, and Igartua a 2-month old daughter.

The Marion County Coroner ruled both victims died from a gunshot wound to the head.

According to court documents, the women were in Indianapolis to visit Webb’s boyfriend. They went to a family gathering at his aunt’s house to honor a homicide victim later that evening. Her boyfriend told investigators he left to meet another girl he was dating.

Investigators later discovered that the other woman he was dating owned a white Yukon, a similar vehicle witnesses reported seeing follow the victim’s car into the alley where their bodies were found.

According to court documents, a witness told police Webb got into an argument with James who was also at the family gathering. There was also a large group of women that acted like they wanted to fight Webb and Igartua. The argument escalated, and a witness said James was “unreasonably upset.”

James walked up to her car and shot her through the open window. A witness reported hearing more shots, and then she saw James running back down the street. She heard Webb’s boyfriend yell, “She’s dead! She’s dead!” The witness looked into the car and saw Webb was dead. Igartua’s body was no longer in the car.

At that point in time, an unidentified man got into Webb’s car and drove off with her. He later returned and said, “It’s cool. It’s good. She’s good.”

Investigators said they responded to shots fired call to the location of the gathering. The caller said a home was struck by a bullet. An officer took photos, but no bullet was recovered.  According to court documents, a witness told police officers arrived as soon as the unidentified man left with Webb's body.

James was charged with two counts of murder on Monday. He was arrested in Hammond on Wednesday, and he is awaiting extradition back to Marion County.

"And the monster that did this to her, he deserves to go to jail for the rest of his life," Ross said.

Webb's mother said her message for the community is to stop the violence.

"It has to stop somewhere because you don't know when it may be somebody that's close to you," Ross said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.