Two brothers perish in Saturday morning house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

credit Dan Gadberry

GAS CITY, Ind. – Just before 6:45 a.m. on Saturday morning, a Gas City firefighter spotted a two-story house on fire and called it in. When firefighters arrived they found the home fully engulfed in flames.

The residence was in the 100 block of W. North G St.

The victims were identified as 60-year-old Douglas Simon and 53-year-old Bruce Simon.

According to the Grant County Coroner, Douglas Simon was found in his bedroom on the main floor. Bruce Simon was found upstairs just outside his bedroom.

An autopsy will be performed Monday to determine the exact cause of death.

A preliminary cause of death for both men was thermal burns.

The fire resulted in the death of a family dog.

Fire officials say the fire likely started on the main floor and spread to the second floor.

The State Fire Marshal’s office has taken over the investigation.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.