RECIPE: Smokin’ Chocolate Beer Barbecue Sauce
Smokin’ Chocolate Beer Barbecue Sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cup finely minced onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Chocolate Stout Beer (such as Young’s Double Chocolate Stout)*
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika**
- 1 ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder**
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ ounces Kroger semi-sweet chocolate chips
In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add onion and cook until nearly soft, about minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add all remaining ingredients, lower heat, and cook/simmer until thickened, about 15 to 25 minutes. Serve over Kim’s Cocoa Rubbed Pork Tenderloin. Refrigerate leftovers in tightly covered container.
*Some Kroger stores sell single bottles of this beer. Use any favorite dark beer if you prefer.
**If you prefer hotter, spicier and smokier, add a little extra!
Makes about 2 cups sauce.
Recipe by culinary registered dietitian nutritionist Kim Galeaz, RDN CD