Indiana man electrocuted while power-washing church

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CASSOPOLIS, Mich. — An Indiana man power-washing the exterior of a southwestern Michigan church has died after coming into contact with an electrical line.

The contracted employee was in a bucket lift Saturday afternoon outside St. Ann’s Catholic Church in Cassopolis when he was electrocuted.

Police say the 65-year-old man was from Bremen, south of South Bend, Indiana. WSBT confirmed that his name is James Birkey.

Cassopolis is just north of the state line with Indiana.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.