Sexual assault suspect found guilty in 1 Indianapolis case, while 2 others are pending

Anthony Jones

UPDATE (Sept. 28, 2018)– Anthony Jones was sentenced to 65 years and received 489 days of jail credit.

Original story:

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – The suspect in three sexual assaults reported in Indianapolis last year has been convicted in one of the cases.

A jury found Anthony Jones guilty of rape, robbery resulting in bodily injury, sexual battery, kidnapping, criminal confinement, and intimidation on Tuesday.

The charges stem from an incident on the near north side on May 27, 2017. Court documents say a female victim was walking to work in the 1200 block of Central Ave. around 9 a.m. when a man came up from behind her, wrapped his arms around her neck and covered her mouth. The victim told police that the man told her to give him her money before moving her toward a nearby alley.

“If you scream, I’ll shoot you. If you try to run, I’ll shoot you,” he allegedly said.

The man then forced the victim into a spot between two trees before forcing her to perform a sex act on him, court documents say. After, the man reportedly walked away and the victim ran back to her apartment to call police.

Officers arrived and secured the crime scene. They suspected Jones may have been the attacker based on the similarities to other attacks downtown that he is charged in. Police assembled a photo array and the victim identified Jones as her attacker.

A warrant was already out for Jones’ arrest in connection with the two downtown assaults on May 22. During one of the incidents, a woman says Jones followed her into the elevator of a parking garage and grabbed her buttocks as she exited. During the other incident, a woman reported that Jones grabbed her buttocks before choking and sexually assaulting her.

Jones was arrested for those incidents a day after the alleged assault on Central Ave. He hasn’t been tried in those cases at this time.

Jones is set to be sentenced in this Central Ave. case on Sept. 28, 2018.