IFD: 93-year-old WWII vet, son displaced after fire caused by generator

Courtesy IFD

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – An exterior generator caused a fire Monday night that displaced a World War II veteran and his son.

Just after 7:00 p.m., IFD was dispatched to the 60 block of W. Loretta Drive on the south side.

A 93-year-old WWII vet and his adult son were displaced as a result of the fire. An occupant told IFD the power to his side of the street was off all day and he used a generator to keep the house warm.

Firefighters believe the generator malfunctioned and caught on fire, claiming it was nothing the father and son did wrong.  Fire officials are calling this  just an accident but warning everyone as winter approaches.

“If you need to use something to stay warm; such as a space heater, a generator or a propane, some sort of other mechanism to stay warm use them cautiously,” explains Rita Reith, with IFD.

The WWII vet says so far most of his irreplaceable memories including pictures and war medals weren’t damaged.

“It was traumatic to see it all and go through it all at the time but after I think about it, it’s going to be all right, it’s going to be all right,” explains RJ Smith, a house fire victim.

No one was injured and IFD estimates damages at $30,000.

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.