Sheriff: Teen shot by New Whiteland officers after pointing gun at them

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE (July 26, 2019) -- Jordan Fulkerson pleaded guilty to resisting law enforcement and was sentenced to time served.

NEW WHITELAND, Ind. – A 17-year-old suspect was injured and an adult is in custody after an officer-involved shooting in New Whiteland.

Officers were called to a home after being informed of a runaway juvenile who had returned home with a handgun.

Johnson County Sheriff Doug Cox says when officers got to the home in the 700 block of Harvest Meadow Way, the teen came outside and pointed the gun at them. That's when they fired, hitting the teen. It's unclear at this time if the teen fired any shots.

He was taken to a hospital in Indianapolis for treatment. A neighbor said a firefighter and a military member live nearby and possibly saved the boy's life after applying a tourniquet.

“It was bad. He lost a lot of blood. If it hadn’t been for the medical team that was there, he wouldn’t have made it," neighbor Brian Lane said.

An adult identified as Jordan Fulkerson was taken into custody after reportedly running from officers. He was arrested on outstanding warrants for “Bond Revocation and Invasion of Privacy.” He has no bond.

Jordan Fulkerson

Police believe this incident is connected to a situation on Thursday night involving a chase.

“A vehicle pursuit ended with both suspects bailing out of a vehicle, and shots being fired at police officers," Sheriff Cox said.

Police searched a neighborhood near Whiteland Road and US 31 on foot with K-9s. They also used a drone and helicopter.

The suspects in that case also shot at officers, police said. It's unclear how many shots were fired, but no officers were injured in either situation.

Police believe the same gun may have been used in both instances.

The teen will be questioned once he is out of surgery. On Saturday morning, authorities said the teen made it out of surgery "okay."

He was reportedly wanted on a juvenile pick-up order at the time of the incident.

“As a 17-year-old it's first and foremost important to get him well. We will interview him at some point in time and an adult will have to be with him,” said Cox.

Friday afternoon's shooting prompted a lockdown at nearby schools. Police said the lockdown was put into place by a school resource officer as a precaution and students were not in immediate danger.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.