7-year-old Indiana boy hospitalized after pouring gas on outdoor fire
NEW CHICAGO, Ind. — A 7-year-old northwest Indiana boy was airlifted to a Chicago hospital with burns after he poured gasoline on an outdoor fire.
Several boys were playing Sunday near a fire between mobile homes when the boy was burned in the Lake County town of New Chicago.
Fire Chief Joe Eakins tells The (Northwest Indiana) Times that a neighbor heard a sound like “whoof,” looked out and saw one of the boy’s pants on fire.
A neighbor put out flames on the boy with a coat, while the boy’s father was burned trying to stomp out the fire. He was treated for burns to his ankle.
Firefighters took the boy to a Hobart airport, where he was airlifted to the University of Chicago Medical Center.
The boy’s condition wasn’t immediately known.