Fighting dog and cat knock over space heater, start fire at near east side home

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – A near east side man says his cat and dog were fighting when they knocked over an electric space heater onto a pile of blankets, which caught fire Monday.

The man told the Indianapolis Fire Department that the fire “took off quickly and by the time he got everyone evacuated, the back porch was fully involved.”

Firefighters were called to the home near the intersection of Prospect and Keystone shortly after 12 p.m. When crews arrived, they started an “aggressive offensive attack and search.”

The blaze was under control within about 30 minutes, according to IFD, and the fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.

The home was occupied by a man, a woman, their dog and four cats. All were evacuated and IFD says they’re okay.

According to IFD, the home didn’t have any working smoke alarms.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.