Who do you call when you need help? 911 isn’t always the best answer

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — When you think about an emergency phone call, your mind probably goes to 911, but there are two other numbers to keep in mind when needing help.

We reported just last week that some people are getting put on hold when calling 911. We're learning some of this is because there are too many people calling for the wrong type of emergencies.

Here's what you need to know before dialing:

311 is for situations with no immediate danger, like car crashes with no injuries, if you’re stranded on the road, or if you’re reporting a burglary or damaged property.

Call 211 for help with basic needs like food and housing or if you need a translator.

Tonja Eagan with LifeSmart Youth and Ann Hartman with Connect2Help211 explained the importance of knowing which numbers to call.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.