4 families displaced after discarded cigarette causes apartment fire in Cicero

CICERO, Ind. —  Four families have been displaced after a carelessly discarded cigarette set fire to an apartment complex.

According to the Cicero Fire Department, the fire took place in the 200 block of W. Cass Street at around 2:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Cicero police arrived first on scene and reported heavy flames and smoke from the rear of the structure.

After firefighters performed a rapid search of the building to ensure all residents had made it out safely, the Cicero Fire Department stated crews made “an aggressive attack” from the exterior of the structure, knocking down flames which had already vented through the roof.

Additional fire crews gained access to the front of the building and prevented the fire from spreading to additional units.

Two units were reported as a total loss in the aftermath of the fire. Additional adjoining units did suffer from smoke damage.

Several fire agencies assisted Cicero Fire Department in combating the fire including Jackson Township, Noblesville, Sheridan, Westfield, White River Township, Carmel and City of Tipton.

No one was injured – civilian or firefighter – as a result of the fire. The Red Cross was on scene and assisted with the displaced families.

The fire has been ruled accidental and was determined to have started on the back deck of the apartment complex by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Cicero Fire Department reminds all residents to use extreme care when disposing of cigarettes and to check smoke detectors and always know two ways out of your home.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.