One of the best things about avocados is they take on whatever flavors your pair with them, and they add a lot of creaminess to the dish while doing so.
For National Avocado Day, I wanted to highlight the versatility of avocados by using them in both a savory and a sweet recipe.
Avocado pasta sauce
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti or pasta of your choice
- In a food processor, add flesh from avocados, garlic, basil, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Blend until creamy. If sauce is too thick, add another Tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Cook pasta per package directions
- Gently toss pasta in pan with sauce. Add protein, veggies, cheese, or whatever other mix-ins you want.
Lime and Coconut Avocado Tart
Ingredients for the crust
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) coconut flakes
- 1 cup (100 grams) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted Challenge butter, melted
Ingredients for the filling
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) sugar
- Zest of 2 limes ( about 4 teaspoons)
- 12 ounces Challenge cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 avocados (about 275 grams), peeled and pitted
- Juice of 2 limes (about 4 Tablespoons)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) coconut cream
Directions for the crust
- Spray 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Toast coconut in frying pan (don’t add oil!) on low heat, stirring frequently until it starts to turn golden brown, or about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add graham crackers, toasted coconut flakes, and sugar to food processor. Pulse to fine crumbs.
- Drizzle in butter and pulse until crumbs are coated and moist.
- Press crumb mixture into bottom of pan.
- Refrigerate while you make filling.
Directions for the filling
- Place sugar and lime zest in food processor and pulse.
- Add cream cheese and process until smooth.
- Add avocados and lime juice and process until smooth.
- Add coconut cream and process until smooth.
- Pour filling over crust and smooth top.
- Spray piece of plastic wrap with nonstick cooking spray and gently place it on top of filling.
- Refrigerate until set, or about 6 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap and garnish with more toasted coconut and whipped cream.