When it comes to Halloween, Kylee’s Kitchen definitely leans more toward the treat than the trick side.
That’s why Kylee Scales has prepared something both sweet and a little scary. She’s made a zombie cake that’s surprisingly easy to assemble.
Yield: 12 servings
Ingredients for the brownie
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) salted Challenge butter
- 10 ounces (283 grams) dark chocolate
- 4 large eggs (8 ounces)
- 2 cups (396 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon (14 grams) vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons (4.5 grams) espresso powder
- 2 cups (240 grams) all-purpose flour
Ingredients for the moss
- 8 ounces sugar cookie dough
- Green food coloring
Ingredients for the zombie fingers
- 5 Tootsie Roll snack size candies
- 5 almond slivers
- 5 toothpicks
Directions for the brownie
- Preheat oven to 35o degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare 8-inch cake pan by spraying with nonstick spray, lining with parchment paper circle, and spraying with nonstick spray again.
- Melt butter in microwave.
- Add chocolate and whisk until melted. If chocolate doesn’t melt all the way, heat in microwave 10 more seconds.
- Whisk eggs in separate bowl. Add sugar, vanilla extract, and espresso powder, and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk into melted butter-chocolate mixture.
- Fold flour into liquid ingredients until just combined.
- Bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes
Directions for the moss
- Mix the sugar cookie dough with green food coloring until dough is uniform in color.
- Spread dough in various irregular shapes on baking sheet, leaving room between each cookie.
- Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Directions for the zombie fingers
- Mold and stretch the Tootsie Rolls so they resemble fingers and stick toothpicks at the end of each finger. Remember, each finger / thumb is a different size.
- Place one almond sliver at the end of each Tootsie Roll so it resembles a nail
- Remove brownie from cake pan and place on serving platter.
- Stick zombie fingers in brownie with toothpicks so it looks like a hand is coming out of the ground.
- Arrange green sugar cookies bottom side up around fingers on top of brownie. Once you have enough cookies covering the brownie, crumble a few of the remaining cookies and sprinkle on top to resemble moss.