Skillet Coconut Curry Shrimp over Brown Rice
- 2 tablespoons soybean oil
- 1½ – 2 pounds peeled and deveined raw shrimp, medium size
- 3 – 4 large finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 ¾ cups finely chopped onion
- 1 – 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste*
- 1 -2 teaspoons curry powder*
- 1 can (13 to 14 ounces) light coconut milk
- 3 – 4 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 3 – 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon each chopped cilantro and basil
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 cups shelled edamame or sugar snap peas (optional)
- 6 cups cooked brown Basmati rice (or regular brown rice)
Heat oil in a large (at least 12 inch) skillet over medium high heat. Pat dry shrimp and add to hot oil and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until fully cooked. Flip once during cooking. Remove shrimp to a plate or container and set aside.
Add garlic and onion to the remaining oil in skillet. Cook for several minutes, stirring, then stir in curry paste and curry powder. Cook 2 – 3 more minutes, then reduce heat to medium-low and stir in coconut milk. Stir in Thai sweet chili sauce and lime juice and cook until mixture bubbles. Add shrimp back to skillet/sauce and toss gently to coat all pieces. Stir in vegetables if using and simmer for several minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Add a smidgen of salt if desired, and more seasonings, depending on your taste. Stir in basil and cilantro. Serve over brown basmati rice and sprinkle with green onions.
Makes about 6 servings.
*Depending on your taste preference.
Recipe by culinary nutritionist and dietitian, Kim Galeaz, RDN, CD