This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Squealers® Pulled Pork
- Pork shoulder or Boston Butt is 4-6 lb, bone in with ¼ fat cap.
- Pork shoulder is rubbed or thoroughly coated with a generous amount of rub on all sides with Squealers® Kickin’ Powder.
- Butts need approximately 14 hours of smoking at 215°. Cooking time can very based on the pit temperature. A good rule of thumb is that time can be equated to pounds of meat at 1 lb. per hour cooking at approximately 225 degrees. Squealers chooses to cook at a lower temperature for a better smoke flavor.
Smoking the Meat
- The raw product is placed on the pit rack fat side up.
- Smoke the butts for approximately 14 hours, when the shoulder bone can pull from the butt easily the butt is done.
- As an alternative, the butt may be wrapped in tin foil when smoke has sufficiently penetrated the meat (approximately 8 hours), then finished in an oven at 325 degrees until tender.
- Butts are servable when the shoulder bone is removed and a proportionate amount of fatty tissue is also removed.
- The butts are pulled by hand into a shredded type product.
- Squealers® butts are not chopped using a cleaver, they are hand pulled.
- Sprinkle butts with a final dousing of Kickin’ Powder.