Okra, Corn & Tomato Saute
- 3 slice(s) uncooked reduced fat bacon
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 cup(s) frozen corn kernels
- 8 oz frozen okra, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or less to taste*
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup(s) grape tomatoes, or cherry tomatoes, halved
Brown bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, flipping several times, about 5 to 7 minutes; remove bacon and set aside. Coat same skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add corn, okra, cayenne, oregano, salt and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook until tomatoes are pulpy, about 2 to 4 minutes. Crumble bacon over skillet and serve. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
Notes: One-eighth teaspoon of cayenne pepper is quite spicy — adjust to taste. You do not need to thaw the corn and okra. We used frozen vegetables for convenience but you can use fresh corn and okra if you prefer. The cooking time will be about the same. Omit the bacon for a vegetarian version.