Squash Bug Nachos
- 4 heaping cups diced butternut squash (about 1½ pounds diced)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- ¼ teaspoon each chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper
- 1 bag (12 ounce) favorite tortilla chips
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounce) petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ½ – 2/3 cup very finely chopped red onion
- 4 cups (16 ounces) reduced fat, shredded Mexican cheese blend
Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, hot pepper sauce, chopped avocado
Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix squash, oil and four seasonings together in a large bowl. Arrange squash in a single layer on a greased 10×15-inch or 13×18-inch rimmed baking pan. Roast 25-35 minutes, or until tender and desired doneness. Stir occasionally.
Decrease oven to 350°F. On a separate rimmed baking pan, layer half the tortilla chips, cooked squash, black beans, diced tomatoes, red onion and shredded cheese. Repeat layer. Bake 7-11 minutes, or until cheese is melted and nachos are slightly heated throughout.
Serve immediately. Makes about 12-16 servings.
Recipe by culinary nutritionist Kim Galeaz, RDN, CD