SPEEDWAY, Ind. (May 21, 2014) — A symbol of the month of May in central Indiana, Hoosiers geared up Wednesday to attend the American Family Insurance 500 Festival’s Community Day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
For many, the highlight of the annual event is the opportunity to take a lap around the famed track in your own vehicle, just days before the Indianapolis 500. Anyone interested in driving on the track must a sign a waiver, which can be found here.
Fans can also take tours of Pit Lane and the official timing and scoring area in the Pagoda area, as well as get autographs from some of their favorite IndyCar drivers.
FOX59 is proud to be sending a team to compete in the Media Pit Stop Challenge, with the winners earning $5,000 to a charity of their choosing, and FOX59’s Michael Henrich will be on hand to emcee Community Day from the new pagoda stage area. Several other familiar faces from the FOX59 News team will greet viewers, pose for pictures and sign autographs at the station’s booth nearby.
Community Day runs from 9 a.m. through 6 p.m. and features a magician and many other family-friendly activities in addition to what was mentioned above. Tickets cost $10 per person and children 6 and under can enter free of charge.
Here’s a look at the schedule:
- Public gates open
- Public Track Laps Begin – Gate 10 at 30th Street
- Garage open to public
- Music/PA Staff begins on the public address system
- Spray Tattoos
- Verizon IndyCar Garages Open – Gasoline Alley
- Verizon IndyCar Safety Equipment on Display – Garage 8
- Little Racers Track
- Princess Sashes
- Tech Bay Open – Gasoline Alley
- Timing and Scoring Tours (15 min) – Pagoda
- National Indy 500 Collectors Club- Legends Row
- IMS Midway Open (IC Fan Village Closed)
- 500 Festival Pin Distribution Begins – Pagoda Plaza
- 500 Festival Pin Distribution Concludes – Pagoda Plaza
- Autograph Session with Firestone Indy Lights Drivers Begins (approx. 40) – Pavilion
- Media Pit Stop Competition Begins – Victory Circle
- Autograph Session with Firestone Indy Lights Drivers Concludes – Pavilion
- Autograph Session #1 Wristband Distribution Begins – Plaza
- Media Pit Stop Competition Concludes
- Autograph Session #1 Wristband Distribution Concludes – Plaza
- Indy 500 Driver Group #1 Autograph Session Begins – Pavilion
- Autograph Session #2 Wristband Distribution Begins – Plaza
- Indy 500 Driver Group #1 Autograph Session Concludes – Pavilion
- Indy 500 Driver Group #2 Autograph Session Begins – Pavilion
- Autograph Session #2 Wristband Distribution Concludes
- Autograph Session #3 Wristband Distribution Begins – Plaza
- Indy 500 Driver Group #2 Autograph Session Concludes – Pavilion
- Indy 500 Driver Group #3 Autograph Session Begins – Pavilion
- Autograph Session #3 Wristband Distribution Concludes – Plaza
- Indy 500 Driver Group #3 Autograph Session Concludes – Pavilion
- Vintage Car Display Concludes – Pit Lane
- All-day events shut down
- Public gates close