7-year-old Indiana boy hospitalized after pouring gas on outdoor fire

News

File image

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW CHICAGO, Ind. — A 7-year-old northwest Indiana boy was airlifted to a Chicago hospital with burns after he poured gasoline on an outdoor fire.

Several boys were playing Sunday near a fire between mobile homes when the boy was burned in the Lake County town of New Chicago.

Fire Chief Joe Eakins tells The (Northwest Indiana) Times that a neighbor heard a sound like “whoof,” looked out and saw one of the boy’s pants on fire.

A neighbor put out flames on the boy with a coat, while the boy’s father was burned trying to stomp out the fire. He was treated for burns to his ankle.

Firefighters took the boy to a Hobart airport, where he was airlifted to the University of Chicago Medical Center.

The boy’s condition wasn’t immediately known.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News