Attack survivor’s family moving forward after ordeal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A 17-year-old boy accused of raping an elderly woman has been charged as an adult. Iquise Taylor of Anderson was arrested last Friday in connection with the July 16 incident. Taylor is charged with rape, strangulation, burglary and criminal confinement.

Fox59 usually does not release the names of victims in these cases but Amelia Rudolf, 93, chose to identify herself Monday, hours after Taylor was in court.

She said she never thought she’d live to see this day.

“I feel happy. I’m glad they found him,” said Rudolf. “I’m looking forward to living my life a little bit safer.”

According to court documents, “[Amelia’s] airway was blocked by the suspect’s hand and she could not breathe while the suspect confined her to her bed as he raped her.”

A witness who spotted Taylor that night told police, “he was sweating profusely and had no shoes on. [The witness] thought he was on something and was acting weird.”

Police interviewed Taylor and his mother on August 6. He denied committing the crime.

On August 22, detectives matched Taylor through DNA samples.

Police said Taylor lives nearby but do not know if he was targeting Rudolf.

“There are days that go by when that’s all I think about but time heals,” said Karl Rudolf, the victim’s son. “We’ll make it through as a family. We’re strong.”

Karl said it’s been an experience for not just his mother but the whole family. However, the Rudolfs are ready to make some new memories.

Three weeks ago, the family met Colts Head Coach Chuck Pagano during training camp in Anderson. Amelia also had a message for quarterback, Andrew Luck.

“I said he better win every game,” chuckled Amelia.

She is a survivor who is smiling thanks to the support from her big family. Amelia has been staying with her children since the incident.

The 93-year-old plans to move back home, but knows it will take time.

“I would like to go back because it’s a house my husband built for me,” she said. “I’ve been happy there all my life until just now.”

Taylor’s family declined to comment.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News