AUSTIN (KXAN) — The Austin woman charged with killing her best friend, kidnapping the woman’s baby and trying to pass it off as her own child appeared in court virtually Monday in Travis County for the first time.
Magen Fieramusca, 35, appeared via Zoom from the Travis County Jail. She wore a maroon jail uniform and was flanked by two guards. Her attorneys requested another month to work on her case. The judge reset the hearing to April 28.
Fieramusca is charged with capital murder, tampering with a corpse and two counts of kidnapping. She’s accused of killing Heidi Broussard, who went missing in December 2019 and was found in the trunk of a car at a Harris County home three weeks later.
The car Broussard’s body was found in was registered to Fieramusca, according to police. In an arrest affidavit, authorities say that Fieramusca acted as if the baby was her own to her boyfriend following Broussard’s disappearance.
Broussard’s daughter, Margo Carey, who was a month old at the time, was found alive in the home and reunited with her father two days before Christmas 2019.
This is Fieramusca’s first hearing since new Travis County District Attorney Jose Garza took office. His office will try this high-profile case that made headlines across the country.
Complete coverage of the case:
- One year later: Heidi Broussard’s disappearance, death and the wait for a trial
- Infant found at Harris Co. home as authorities investigate missing Austin mom Heidi Broussard & baby
- Missing mom found dead near Houston, baby daughter safe, longtime friend arrested
- 3-week-old daughter of Heidi Broussard reunited with family days after mother’s body found
- Heidi Broussard remembered as ‘awesome mom, friend, beautiful spirit’
- Family gathers for funeral of murdered Austin mom Heidi Broussard
- Woman accused of kidnapping Heidi Broussard charged with her murder
- Woman charged with kidnapping Austin mom and baby pretended child was her own
- Court date pushed back for woman connected to murdered mom Heidi Broussard
- ‘Abducted’ special about Heidi Broussard case airing on Dateline NBC Friday night
- Magen Fieramusca not in court Monday, defense attorneys waiting for evidence