BBQ DANGER | Woman ingests grill bristles, nearly dies

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAKEWOOD, Wash. (June 17, 2014) – A family barbeque nearly killed a Washington state woman.

A day after Tammy Johnson and her husband grilled out with their grandchild, Johnson felt extreme pain. She knew it wasn’t food poisoning.

“I just had pain. You just wouldn’t think you would have eaten something that would cause this,” she told Q13FOX News.

She was rushed to the hospital, where she found out she’d swallowed a tiny wire from a brush used to clean the grill. That wire punctured her intestine, and after she had surgery, she ended up with a bad infection that shut down her intestines.

“It’s been very scary,” Johnson said. “Something like this happens and you think, ‘I just want to see tomorrow.’”

More than a week fter swallowing the bristle, she was still in the hospital and on a feeding tube.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a warning about grill brushes two years ago.

It’s a warning that’s very real for Johnson.

“There’s other ways to clean them. It’s just not worth that chance.”

[protected-iframe id=”ab561b504ea3437f46e717d9ff9ec889-41641915-42241042″ info=”″ width=”580″ height=”325″ scrolling=”no”]

Source: Q13FOX News

Most Popular

Latest News

More News