Bei Bei Shuai thanks supporters after accepting plea deal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A woman who admitted that she took rat poison in an attempt to commit suicide, which prosecutors think led to the death of her daughter, agreed to a plea bargain Friday.

The deal essentially wipes out the serious charges against Bei Bei Shuai and allows her to avoid jail time.

The plea bargain charged Shuai with “criminal recklessness”, which is a class B misdemeanor. It’s far less than the murder and feticide charges that were filed against her. Now, she’s a free woman.

“It feels great. (The) best part of it, ya know, I can call my mother. I’m certain she’s worried about me to death. And, I can tell my friend, because they sacrificed their life because of me,” said Bei Bei Shuai after her court appearance.

The plea deal, which gave her a much lesser charge of “criminal recklessness” instead of murder and feticide, was reached an hour before the close of business. It brings an end to a very long and infamous court battle that could have made legal history.

“When you get closer to trial, people start to look at the evidence a little bit more closely and figure out what could happen, and an offer was made,” said Linda Pence, Shuai’s defense attorney.

In late 2010, Shuai was arrested and charged with murder and feticide after she took rat poison as a suicide attempt to escape personal issues. She survived, but prosecutors argued the poison ultimately led to the death of her child, who died three days after an emergency C-section.

Shuai spent more than a year in prison before she bonded out.

Had this case gone to trial, it would have been the first in state history in which a woman was prosecuted for murder, for a suicide attempt while pregnant.

Earlier this year, there were demonstrations by supporters downtown, including handcrafted “Free Bei Bei” signs because this caught a lot of attention.

Now, she’s a free woman because the 178-day sentence in the plea agreement is for time already served.

“I would like to say thank you to everyone, because, I remember every one of them and I want to thank them personally, but today, I want to say thank you very much, thank you,” said Schuai.

The judge also agreed not to impose court costs on to this agreement, going with her attorney’s argument that Shuai doesn’t have the financial means to pay the state back after behind bars for so long.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News