Bloomington man arrested, $12,000 worth of heroin seized

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (Jan. 14, 2016) -- A Bloomington man is behind bars, accused of picking up large quantities of heroin in Indianapolis to sell back at home.

Bloomington Police arrested Charles Timothy Beason, 27, after a two-month long investigation that included undercover buys and surveillance on Beason's apartment.

"They received a tip that the suspect, Mr. Beason, was going to travel to Indianapolis to obtain heroin and bring it back to Bloomington," Capt. Steve Kellams said.

Court paperwork detailed what happened when detectives moved in on Beason early Wednesday morning. One detective "located a scale on top of the bathroom sink ... and ziploc bags under the sink that had powder-like substance (later determined to be heroin) inside," according to the paperwork.

Beason's arrest comes just as Monroe County is in the final stages before it rolls out a needle exchange program. The state declared a public health emergency in the county in December, citing an epidemic of Hepatitis C cases linked to intravenous drug use.

"Hepatitis C has increased so much that it’s half the caseload of our public health nurse," Kathy Hewett, with the Monroe County Health Department, said.

Hewett said the program would be mostly mobile, run out of a roving truck that will make stops around town at least once a week. Once a month, the department will set up a "one stop shop" with providers to help people with a variety of issues.

"(It will be) as many providers (as) we can get at one spot where they can just come and access all sorts of different care," Hewett said.

The hope is to stop cases like this latest one- according to detectives, Beason admitted to using heroin, and though he did not admit to selling it, police believe it was likely a way to support the habit.

"We’re hopeful that (the program) can make a big difference," Hewett said.

The mobile unit should be up and running by the end of the month. To see where it will stop and to keep up-to-date with its progress, go to the link here.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News