Carmel, Greensburg bring home IHSAA Basketball titles

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


INDIANAPOLIS – The Greensburg Pirates had not led the entire game. All of the odds were against them late in the fourth quarter. But that did not stop their mindset on becoming state champions for the first time in school history.

Sean Sellers, Greensburg’s leading scorer on the season, fouled out with 48.2 seconds left in regulation time. But Junior Bryant McIntosh stepped up to the occasion when it mattered most and hit a 3-pointer with 25 seconds left to tie the game at 61. That bucket would eventually force overtime as the Pirates were not going to go down without a fight.

In overtime, McIntosh stayed hot, along with sophomore center Ryan Welage, as they scored their team’s first 10 points of the overtime period, giving the Pirates a two point advantage. With 22 seconds remaining, junior guard Colin Rigney, drove in to the lane for a tough bucket that gave Greensburg its 73-70 edge. But it wasn’t over yet.

Concordia still had 5 seconds left off of a Bryant turnover to force a second overtime. However, senior Ryan Gross for the Cadets missed his 3-point try just before the buzzer went off as the Pirates prevail in an astonishing comeback to celebrate as your 3A state champions

“I know there are a lot of faithful Pirate fans out there that have been waiting on this for a long time now”, head coach Stacy Meyer said on winning the school’s first state championship.
“The fan support here has been amazing since when I used to play here. In fact there were even times we would go on road games and it seemed like we would have a bigger crowd then the home team.”

The following the class 4A state title game however was a different story. It wasn’t a school winning their first title. Instead, it was their second in a row and third overall.

The Carmel Greyhounds, after a solid first half of shooting nearly 56% from three point range, were able to yet again knock off the Cathedral fighting Irish in a rematch. The Greyhounds also defeated the Irish earlier this year. The win did not come as easy as the first half may have indicated though.

After trailing by as much as 13 in the fourth quarter, the Irish came roaring back. Cathedral’s Garrett Hall completed a three-point play with just 4.6 seconds left in the game, cutting the Carmel lead to just two at 55-53. The Greyhounds however would come through at the free throw line with James Crowley connecting on his two free throws with 3.6 seconds giving the final score of 57-53 in favor of head coach Scott Heady’s Greyhounds.

“I couldn’t ask anything more from our guys as far as their hard work from where we were last year to get here again this year” Heady said. They stayed grounded, they stayed focused and they got the job done and I give them a lot of credit.”

NBA Stats

Most Popular

Latest News

More News