INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. — Monday afternoon, Gov. Eric Holcomb and other state officials provided an update on the state’s efforts to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Governor Holcomb said he’s looking at tweaking the “stay at home” order on Friday.
Holcomb explained that he and officials see the spread in Indiana and see how fast in can spread, but see the end ahead – only because they managed the surge by social distancing
Indiana State Health Commissioner Dr. Kristina Box reported on the seven new deaths and urged people not to read into the lower number, because labs sometimes delay reports over the weekend, especially on holiday weekends.
Box also said demographics by case did not change much from what was reported last week by the Indiana State Department of Health.
She said the state still has about 44% of ICUs available, with 25% being used by covid patients. As for ventilators, Box reported 73% are open and ready to be used.
When addressing surge capacity, Box said an early model showed it could come as early as this week, but because social distancing has slowed down, it is now expected in late April for Marion County and the first weeks of May for other areas.
Box said Hoosiers can not relax our guard and “social distancing is still crucial.”
The Indiana State Department of Health on Monday launched a new dashboard to track the virus, which includes more data like ICU bed and ventilator capacity. New results have been posting daily at 10 a.m., but now will be posted each day at noon.
The state now has 350 total deaths and 8,236 confirmed cases. Statewide, 44,539 people have been tested.