Holcomb says he will extend public health emergency for another 30 days

Coronavirus

(AP Photo/Darron Cummings File)

INDIANAPOLIS – The public health emergency spurred by the coronavirus pandemic will last at least one more month.

Gov. Eric Holcomb said he would extend the order for another 30 days. Holcomb has renewed the public health emergency on a month-to-month basis during the pandemic, in part to make sure the state remains eligible for federal funds related to coronavirus relief.

However, since the General Assembly announced it will not return on Monday, Nov. 29, Holcomb has decided to extend the order for another 30 days.

When renewing the order last time, Holcomb signaled he would consider scaling down his pandemic-related orders in the coming months. He outlined three key statutory changes that would allow him to “responsibly” wind down the public health emergency:

  • Allow for the continuation of enhanced federal matching funds for Medicaid expenditures
  • Allow for the continuation of the enhanced benefit for those receiving federal food assistance
  • Extend the ability to efficiently vaccinate 5- to 11-year-olds

Here is the governor’s statement on the matter:

“Last week I made clear what would be necessary to responsibly allow the state public health emergency to expire. However, following the announcement that the General Assembly will not return on Monday, Nov. 29, I plan to extend the state public health emergency and the executive order next week for another 30 days to preserve the necessary provisions. I will continue to work closely with Speaker Huston and Senator Bray as we move into next legislative session.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Fun Winter Activities

Home for the Holidays

More Home for the Holidays

Latest News

More News