The results are in — and they are not good for a number of would-be heirs claiming a cut of Prince’s estate.
In a ruling filed Friday, a judge dismissed the claims of 29 people who allege they are related to the late pop star.
According to a report on Prince’s death from the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office in Minnesota, Prince died in April from an accidental overdose of the opioid fentanyl.
In the 19-page ruling, Carver County District Judge Kevin Eide narrowed down the possible genetic connections to six people. Those who have been asked to undergo genetic testing are his sister Tyka Nelson and half-siblings John Nelson, Norrine Nelson and Sharon Nelson.
Two other relatives, Brianna Nelson and a minor referred to in the ruling only as V.N., “allege they are the niece and grandniece, respectively” according to the court documents, and will also undergo genetic testing. Brianna Nelson alleges her late father, Duane J. Nelson, was Prince’s half-brother.
Earlier this year, Tyka Nelson filed legal documents that say the late superstar did not have a will, and to date no will has been found. Without a will for Prince, who had no known children, Minnesota law states his estate goes to his sister and his half-siblings.
Eighteen claimants were ruled out as Prince’s children. One of them, referred to as “Child 1,” says they were adopted by Prince but don’t have the paperwork to prove it. Another claimant, referred to as “Child 5,” says he was told by a friend of his mother’s at a funeral that his name was “French for ‘Young Prince’ and Mr. Nelson (Prince) was the reason.”
The judge ruled out another 11 people, including some who claimed to be Prince’s father.
This is not the first time a court has shut down someone claiming to be a part of Prince’s family.
A 39-year-old Colorado inmate claimed in May that he was the son of the late music legend, but sources later told CNN a DNA test proved this to be untrue.