Family of 7 escapes early morning house fire

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDIANAPOLIS (January 5, 2016) – A family of seven is safe after an early morning house fire on Indy’s east side.

Indianapolis fire crews responded to the fire in the 3300 block of Argyle Ct. around 1:30 a.m.

When they arrived on scene, firefighters they saw heavy flames and smoke coming from the house.

According to fire officials, one of the children in the home woke up, smelled something burning and alerted the rest of the family.

The family told firefighters that a space heater had caught a nearby chair on fire. There were no working smoke detectors in the home.

One family member was transported to the hospital to be treated for trouble breathing, but no injuries were reported from the fire.

Fire officials say the house is a total loss. Red Cross is working to help the family find shelter.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News