This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

 

COLUMBUS, Ind. – An apartment fire in Columbus displaced 14 occupants Monday evening.

First responders were called to the eight-unit Fox Pointe Commons building in the 4700 block of Creekside Way around 7:30 p.m.

Police arrived to the scene before firefighters did and they were able to account for all of the occupants. None of them were injured.

When fire crews arrived, they found the building engulfed in heavy flames that were producing smoke that could be seen from several miles away.

We’re told firefighters initially attacked from the exterior of the building as the fire burned through the attic space. The roof of the building eventually collapsed.

Fire officials say the blaze was under control at around 9 p.m.

The Columbus Fire Department said a discarded cigarette was responsible for the fire.

https://twitter.com/columbusind/status/762799730002886656