INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – An Indianapolis restaurant and pub will reopen Tuesday after a weekend fire.
More than 200 people evacuated after a fire broke out underneath The Pub early Sunday morning. An employee told FOX59 that the health department has cleared the business to reopen; they could technically reopen Monday but said they planned to wait until Tuesday to make sure everything is absolutely right for customers.
The fire began around 12:30 a.m. Sunday at the business on Georgia Street and Penn close to Banker’s Life Fieldhouse.
Partygoers celebrating Halloween inside the bar filed out into the streets. Everybody evacuated safely and nobody was hurt, though traffic was backed up in the area at least two hours after the incident.
Firefighters on scene say the fire was likely ignited accidentally, and started under the sidewalk. A discarded cigarette likely set fire to leaves and trash that accumulated in a grate in front of the bar.
The Pub is located on the first floor of a seven-story building. About 100 people from the bar were evacuated while another 100 people in the apartments above had to get out as well.
Fire crews estimate up to $50,000 in damages.