Fire officials believe cigarette may be cause of fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Just before 4:30 Sunday afternoon, the Indianapolis Fire Department was called to an apartment fire, which they believe was started by a discarded cigarette.

Fire crews arrived at the Grand Oak Apartments near Interstate 65 and Southport Road on the south side, to find heavy fire showing from two apartment units.

Crews spoke with the residents and believe that a cigarette that was not properly extinguished and placed into a container with a plastic liner, may be the cause of the fire.

Investigators talked to a woman who was at the apartments, visiting family when she stepped outside to smoke.  When she was done, she put the cigarette into a container, which caught fire and spread to a covered partition, traveled to the attic and damaged the two units.

The woman saw the fire and evacuated the unit, unharmed and called 911.

Although 10 residents were displaced due to the fire, no one was injured.

Most Popular

Latest News

More News